International Pet Transport to the USA
At Pets Abroad UK, we take the stress out of planning your move overseas for your furry friend. We have offices in London and across the United States, so your pet will be taken care of by our team at both ends of the journey. Our number one priority is ensuring your pet is safe and comfortable.
Pets Abroad UK are pet shipping experts and have been transporting pets from the UK to the USA (and in reverse) for over 45 years. Our team is highly experienced at handling everything required for shipping animals to the US. Pets Abroad UK can provide international pet relocations for all types of pets, including dogs, cats, birds, fish, and reptiles.
Pets Abroad UK work with 90% of the largest and smallest airlines across the globe, including British Airways and Virgin Atlantic. We always select the most direct route to your destination, so you are reunited with your cat or dog as soon as possible. Depending on your needs, we can provide airport-to-airport service, door-to-door service, or a customised solution to any destination in the USA.
Popular US Destinations
Some of the most popular cities we transport pets to include New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, Boston, San Francisco, Honolulu, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Seattle and Atlanta. Flight time to Los Angeles from London is approximately 11 hours, Dallas from London is about 10 hours, and New York is approximately 8 hours.
- Specialist advice from one of our dedicated pet travel consultants.
- Organise and manage all bookings for your pet, including flights.
- Help to select the best travel crate for your pet.
- Options to buy or hire an airline-approved travel crate from our IATA specified stock.
- Allow time for your pet to adapt to their travel crate before moving day.
- Advice and schedules for pre-import blood tests and vaccinations (including rabies).
- Endorsements and vet checks with overseas animal health authorities.
- Assist with arranging Government Health Certificates and import/export permits
- Arrange a comfort stop for your pet.
- Options to drop-off and collect your pet in our temperature-controlled pet travel vans.
- Provide photo updates before take-off and check-in with you upon your pet’s arrival.
Trust Pets Abroad UK as your international pet shippers to the USA or anywhere in the world. Your pets stay safe with Pets Abroad UK.
At Pets Abroad UK, we believe in creating the best possible experience for pet owners and pets alike. That is why all international customers fly under our International Service Guarantee. We designed this guarantee to ensure your peace of mind. By choosing Pets Abroad UK as your professional pet travel service, we take the stress out of your move to the US. As a member of the IPATA (International Pet and Animal Transport Association), we have trusted pet travel partners in every part of the world.
Import Requirements to the USA
Coming from the UK, there are no specific blood tests or vaccinations required for pets to enter the USA. However, each state and territory has specific regulations for pet ownership and importation, which may be different from the federal rules. There are stringent quarantine regulations for travelling with your pet to Hawaii and Guam.
For Domestic Pets:
- Animal is healthy
- Vaccinated for rabies
- Over six months of age
- Valid Rabies Certificate
- Valid Health Certificate
For Commercial Pets:
Under the US Animal Welfare Act, dogs imported into the United States to resell must meet the following conditions:
- In good health
- Vaccinated for rabies, distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus, and parainfluenza virus (DHLPP)
- Minimum of six months in age
And, have the following paperwork accompany the dog on its travel:
- A health certificate and rabies vaccination certificate issued by a licensed vet; and
- An import permit issued by APHIS (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service)
*Exotic pets may require additional paperwork including CITES certificates and special export health certificates issued by APHA here in the UK.
Pets Travelling from the USA to the UK
The UK Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has established guidelines for importing pets. If all of these conditions are met, then there are no quarantine requirements upon arrival. However, if the rules are not followed, your pet may be quarantined for up to 4 months.
Requirements to enter the UK:
- Pets must be microchipped
- Have a pet passport or third-country official vet certificate
- Up-to-date rabies vaccine
- Tapeworm treatment for dogs (1-5 days before departure)
- Travel with an approved transport company and route
Pets Fly Like Us
Travelling by air is the quickest and most efficient way of moving your pet to or from the US with the least amount of hassle. For international flights, live animals travel in the cargo cabin, which is pressurised just like the cabin you fly in. The captain of the plane knows your pet is on board and keeps the aircon set to a comfortable 18ºC.
Call Pets Abroad UK now on 0800 002 9110 or +44208 979 3124 to start planning your pet’s international travel to or from the United States.
Want to know more? Learn about our Care Code
Members of IPATA
We are members of IPATA (International Pet and Animal Transport Association), which ensures that we have trusted travel partners in every country of the world to ensure Any Animal, Anywhere, Anytime philosophy is maintained with the same high levels of care that we offer.